And so we continue on this journey of chocolate bar inspired baked goods! I blame (not in a bad way) the baked site I found that mostly has these kinds of recipes and lots of oreo and nutella sweet treats too (all my favourite things!) Hurray! In all honesty, these bars don’t really require the frosting. But why not? Brownies without a frosting look a bit lonely to me.
Peanut butter cups were not as readily available in England the last time I was living there – maybe that has changed…
Frosted Peanut Butter Cup Brownies
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 12 peanut butter cups, each one chopped into 4 pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
- Sift together the flour, unsweetened cocoa powder and kosher salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (a handheld mixer works fine), mix together the melted unsalted butter, packed light brown sugar, sugar and vanilla. Once that’s combined, add the eggs, one at a time.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients until the batter is almost combined.
- Take a spatula and fold the ingredients together in order to incorporate everything together.
- Take 12 peanut butter cups and chop each one into four pieces.
- Add in the chopped peanut butter cups and fold them into the batter.
- Spread the batter evenly into the baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. Once the brownies are done, allow them to cool completely before frosting with the peanut butter frosting.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 7 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sift the powdered sugar. Set aside
- Mix together the peanut butter, unsalted butter and vanilla extract at medium speed.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar at low speed. Once the powdered sugar is incorporated, increase the speed for about a minute.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and increase the speed. Mix for a couple of minutes until the frosting is smooth.
- Frost the peanut butter cup brownies with a thick layer of frosting! Cut into squares and enjoy!