This is another one of those fail safe dessert recipes that I always go back to. I find this to be the sweeter sister of the molten chocolate cakes, the cocao used gives it that sugary edge, maybe too much for some, but I love it.
This is so simple to make, and with some heavy cream this is heaven.
- 1 & 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided into 3/4 cup and 1/2 cup
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 tablespoons cocoa, divided into 3 tablespoons and 4 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 & 1/2 cups hot water
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Stir together 3/4 cup sugar, flour, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Stir in milk, butter, and vanilla, mixing until smooth. Pour into an ungreased 8-inch square glass baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, and 4 tablespoons cocoa. Sprinkle evenly over batter. Pour hot water over the top. Do not stir.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until center is almost set. Let stand for 15 minutes, then serve. Use the chocolate sauce in the bottom of the pan to spoon over servings. Garnish, if desired, with ice cream or whipped cream.
Makes 8 servings.