Alright, enough with all this chocolate and peanut butter and candy bars. It’s time for fruit… with a small bit of chocolate!
These bars have been on my mind for a while, so when the sun came out today, I thought they would be a perfect thing to make for a summer day. They are baked sunshine.
And it doesn’t hurt to pile on some more fruit… yum.
Orange Walnut Bars
(apadted from the Fat Witch Bakery book)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice (1 medium orange)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 3/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
* I didn’t add semisweet chocolate chips to the batter but I did add a white chocolate ganache on top of the bar – see below!
- Grease a 9-inch x 9-inch baking pan with butter. Dust with flour and shake out the excess. Preheat the oven to 350degreesFahrenheit.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. When blended and smooth, remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the butter mixture to a medium mixing bowl. Beat in the eggs until completely blended. Add the orange juice and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Measure the flour, baking powder, and salt and then sift together directly into the batter. Mix gently until well combined and no trace of the dry ingredients remains.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the orange zest, walnuts, and, if desired, chocolate chips. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only crumbs, not batter, on it. The top should be golden brown and the edges pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a rach for 1 hour. Cut just before serving.
White Chocolate Ganache
- 1/4 cup double cream
- 170g white chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat the double cream in a small pan until it starts to simmer.
- Tip in the white chocolate and let sit for 1 minute. Stir the mixture.
- Add the butter and keep stirring until well combined
- Keep in the fridge until thickened.
- SPREAD OVER DELICIOUS ORANGE BARS.
Makes 12 to 16 bars.