These bars are so simple to make yet the delicious results belie this fact.
The texture is absolutely delightful. However, I used white chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips instead of the type of chips that the recipe title called for! The use of brown sugar gives these bars a rich flavour depth.
(from the Fat Witch Bakery book)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Grease a 9-inch x 9-inch baking pan with butter. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. Preheat the oven to 350DegreesFahrenheit.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Set aside to cool.
- Cream the sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Add the cooled butter and continue mixing until well blended.
- Measure the flour, salt and baking powder and then sift together directly into the batter. Mix the batter gently until well combined and no trace of the dry ingredients remains. Stir in the butterscotch and semisweet chips.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only crumbs, not batter, sticking to it.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 1 hour. Cut just before serving.
Makes 12 to 16 bars.