If I’m asked to bring ‘something chocolatey‘ to a dinner then I am more than happy to oblige. This recipe couples a delightful nutty/digestive biscuit base with a silky rich chocolate filling. Perfect with a dollop of whipped cream.
Mississippi Mud Pie
(from Mark’s & Spencer Easy Chocolate)
- 140g/3oz digestive biscuits
- 85g/3oz pecan nuts, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 85g/30z butter, melted
- 225g/8oz butter or margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 175g/6oz plain chocolate, chopped
- 125ml/4floz golden syrup
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 85g/30z pecan nuts, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180DegreesCelcius/350DegreesFahrenheit/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease a 23-cm/9-inch springform or loose-based cake tin.
- To make the crumb crust, put the digestive biscuits, pecan nuts, sugar and cinnamon into a food processor and process until fine crumbs form – do not overprocess to a powder. Add the melted butter and process again until moistened.
- Tip the crumb mixture into the prepared cake tin and press over the base and about 4cm/1 and a half inches up the sides of the tin. Cover the tin and chill while you make the filling.
- To make the filling, put the butter, chocolate and golden syrup into a saucepan over a low heat and stir until melted and blended. Leave to cool, then beat in the eggs and pecan nuts.
- Pour the filling into the chilled crumb crust and smooth the surface. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until just set but still soft in the centre. Leave to cool on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature or chilled.