Another CRACKING recipe from the Fat Witch Bakery book. So easy but so good. I think shredded coconut might be my new favourite thing!
1/4 cuo unbleached flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 11 whole crackers, crushed)
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 and a quarter cups sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup chopped pecans or other nut (optional)
1. Grease a 9-inch x 9-inch baking pan with butter. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. Preheat the oven to 350DegreesFahrenheit.
2. To make the crust, measure the flour, baking powder, and salt and then sift together into a medium bowl. Stir in the graham cracker crumbs and light brown sugar. Mix well.
3. Cut the butter into a few pieces and mix into the dough with a fork until the dough is crumbly. Continue mixing with your hands until smooth. Spread the dough evenly in a thin layer in the prepared baking pan, pressing down with your hands. Bake for 10 minutes or until the crust is slightly golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
4. While the crust is cooling, prepare the topping. Mix together the coconut, both chocolate chips, and the condensed milk with a spoon. Add the pecans, if desired. Spread the mixture evenly over the baked crust.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is well-set and light brown. Watch carefully at the end of baking time and do not let the top become too bubbly or dark.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for 2 hours or until chocolate chips are no longer soft. Cut just before serving.
MAKES 12 TO 16 BARS