Oh Easter you came and went too quickly. My late ode to your occurance is embodied in the baked form of Carrot Cupcakes.
Why are these linked to Easter? Good question. Easter … Easter Bunny… Bunnies like carrots… CARROT CUPCAKES. Obviously.
(from the glorious annie’s-eats.com)
Yield: about 20-22 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 2½ cups (12.5 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 lb. (6-7 medium) carrots, peeled
- 1½ cups (10.5 oz) granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups canola, safflower or vegetable oil
For the frosting:
- 12 oz. cream cheese (not softened)
- 7½ tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3¾ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt; whisk together and set aside.
- In a food processor fitted with a shredding disk, shred the carrots. Add the carrots to the bowl with the dry ingredients and set aside. Wipe out the bowl of the food processor and fit with the metal blade. Process the sugars and eggs until frothy and thoroughly combined, about 20 seconds. With the machine running, add the oil in a steady stream through the feed tube. Continue to process until the mixture is light in color and well emulsified, about 20 more seconds. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the carrots and dry ingredients until incorporated and no streaks of flour remain.
- Scoop evenly into the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for about 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan at least 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until well combined and smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Mix in the vanilla extract. Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until totally incorporated, increase the speed and then beat until smooth. Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.