This cake has been on my favourites for a while and it’s birthday season at work so what better time to give it a go?
This cake was huge (I’m not complaining, and neither were my co-workers).
The birthday boy described my cakes as ‘manly’…. no frills, no fancy pink ‘is this edible?/is this not?’ decorations. Just basically butter sugar and chocolate.
Well, he does have a point and the taste is what matters and hot dang, this tastes so good.
Stay tuned for more ‘manly’ cakes! *flex*
Yellow Butter Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 4 cups plus 2 tablespoons cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups buttermilk, well-shaken
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter two 9-inch round cake pans and line with circles of parchment paper, then butter parchment.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy, then beat in vanilla.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well and scraping down the bowl after each addition. At low speed, beat in buttermilk until just combined (mixture will look curdled). Add flour mixture in three batches, mixing until each addition is just incorporated.
- Spread batter evenly in cake pan, then rap pan on counter several times to eliminate air bubbles.
- Bake until golden and a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes, then run a knife around edge of pan. Invert onto rack and discard parchment, then cool completely, about 1 hour.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
Makes about 5 cups
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar (no need to sift)
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons half-and-half or whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse to incorporate, then process until the frosting is smooth.
- Frost cake.