It may be fairly obvious by now that I love chocolate. I love it so much, it is unhealthy. These cupcakes are chocolate heaven. I had to restrain myself from eating the whole bowl of frosting. Disgusting, I know, but it’s just so darn good.
The frosting is delicious and rich and perfect for piping if you’ve got a piping bag.. I usually enjoying the piping part of the process (oh, wow, alliteration!) but didn’t have one handy so I just slopped the frosting on.. Same taste, just not as pretty.
For the cupcakes:
- 1/2 (50 grams) cup of Dutch -processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup (240ml) boiling water
- 1 1/3 cups (175 g) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (200g) granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 4 ounces (120 g) dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cups (150 g) unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups (160 g) icing sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly butter, or line 16 muffin cups with paper liners
- In a small bowl stir until smooth the cocoa powder and boiling water. Allow to cool to room temperature
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat only until incorporated. Then add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
- Fill each muffin cup with two thirds of batter and bake for about 16-20 minutes until risen. Remove from the oven and leave to cool then frost with yummy delicious icing.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl in the microwave. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Beat the butter until it is smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla extract and then the chocolate until the frosting is light and glossy.
- Try to ice cupcakes without eating all the frosting.
Makes about 16 cupcakes.
ready to frost